Prince, whose mix of funk, R&B, rock and sexuality scored him number-one hits, an Oscar and induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and influenced thousands of musicians, has died in Minneapolis.
The Carver County, Minnesota sheriff’s office says Prince was found unresponsive in an elevator and that CPR attempts failed.
His career highlights include:
- 19 Top 10 hits and five number-one hits — “When Doves Cry,” “Let’s Go Crazy,” “Kiss,” “Batdance” and “Cream”
- 16 Top 10 albums and four number-one albums — Purple Rain, Around the World In a Day, Batman and 3121.
- An Oscar for Best Original Song Score for Purple Rain.
- A seven-time Grammy winner.
- Induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004.
- Halftime performer at the Super Bowl in 2007